Did That Really Happen?!
1. Election officials announced that ballots at some polling sites in Queens, New York, will be available in Bengali, starting this September.
2. During a Q-and-A at the University of Nebraska, U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel jokingly directed this question at an Indian-American professor: “You’re not a member of the Taliban, are you?”
3. An Indian TV journalist was fired for reporting on the deadly floods in Uttarakhand while sitting on the shoulders of one of the victims.
4. Author Vikram Seth announced that his next novel A Suitable Girl, a sequel to his best-selling novel A Suitable Boy, will be completed at “a suitable time in the future.”
5. Police in Bangalore started using cardboard cops to fool drivers into obeying traffic rules, but one of the first cut-out cops was stolen.
Compiled and partly written by Indian humorist MELVIN DURAI, author of the novel Bala Takes the Plunge.
[Comments? Contributions? We would love to hear from you about Chai Time. If you have contributions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome jokes, quotes, online clips and more.]
Enjoyed reading Khabar magazine? Subscribe to Khabar and get a full digital copy of this Indian-American community magazine.
blog comments powered by Disqus