Quota of Quotes
“I do not know what I am going
to wear or how I will walk. I am not
prepared for all that. I am just happy
to have been invited for a big event
like this and show the world that
beauty lies in the soul and not in
– Reshma Bano, a 19-year-old acid attack survivor in Mumbai, who was invited to participate in a fashion show in New York as part of a campaign to raise awareness about acid attack victims. (Daily Mail)
“How can I remove my pagdi? It is
my identity. It is my pride. … I can’t compromise
with my pride.”
– BJP Member of Parliament Virendra Singh ‘Mast,’ who turned down a visa after U.S. Embassy officials allegedly asked him to remove his turban for the visa documentation. (IANS)
“India’s strengths to some extent come also from its democracy.
Things can get bad in India, but not beyond a certain
point, because the democratic process asserts itself. And
we have a change in government.”
– Raghuram Rajan, who recently stepped down as governor of the Reserve Bank of India and returned to his longtime job as a professor at the University of Chicago’s business school. (New York Times)
“I believe in hard work, and
I’m up for the challenge.”
– Bardish Chagger, 36, who recently became the first woman to be appointed Leader of the Government in Canada’s House of Commons. (The Canadian Press)
“I have faced every kind of bias because
I am a woman and brown. But once
people know you are talented, you surpass
– Chef Aarthi Sampath, who won the top prize of $10,000 on the Food Network’s competitive show Chopped. (Indian Express)
“All Islamaphobes should
be forced to try Pakistani food.
Then we can talk.”
– Tweet from Pakistani-American stand-up comedian Kumail Nanjiani.
Compiled and partly written by Indian humorist MELVIN DURAI, author of the novel Bala Takes the Plunge.
[Comments? Contributions? Please email us at email@example.com. We welcome jokes, quotes, online clips, and more.]
Enjoyed reading Khabar magazine? Subscribe to Khabar and get a full digital copy of this Indian-American community magazine.
blog comments powered by Disqus