QUOTA of QUOTES
“I’m sure there’s a lot of people that voted for Trump the same way a lot of people listen to the music of Chris Brown. It’s like, ‘Hey man, I’m just here for the tunes. I don’t know about that other stuff. I just like the dancing and the music. I don’t condone the extracurriculars.”
– Comedian Aziz Ansari, performing the opening monologue as guest host of Saturday Night Live.
“I believe that speaking out about this now is a way to help and defend the police also, because the incident could have been more serious. … . Fortunately, this time, nobody was hurt, nobody was arrested and we should use this as a learning opportunity.”
– Aravinda Pillalamarri, 47, of Bel Air, Maryland, a naturalized U.S. citizen who spoke at a town hall meeting after she was stopped by police and questioned about her immigration status while walking in her hometown. (Baltimore Sun)
“Women and children bear the brunt of our inhumane and broken immigration system. Yet, they have no seat at the table.”
– Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, a Democrat from Washington who was appointed co-chair of the Congressional Women’s Working Group on Immigration Reform.
“India suffered so much exoticism, and if you didn’t play the exotic game in the publishing world, you were sort of blockaded. She was the one who made India a familiar place, and she was the one who made America look like an odd place.”
– Author Clark Blaise, remembering his wife, acclaimed writer Bharati Mukherjee, who died on Jan. 28 at age 76. (The Daily Californian)
“The framers of the Constitution were students of history. And they understood that one way a republic could fail is if foreign powers could corrupt our elected leaders.”
– Supreme Court litigator Deepak Gupta, part of a team that brought a lawsuit against President Trump alleging that he is violating the Constitution by allowing his businesses to accept payments from foreign governments. (New York Times)
“I put everything I had into that film. Every part of my soul went into this journey and getting it right. A script like that, for myself, is such a rarity. I wanted to do it justice.”
– Actor Dev Patel, who received his first Oscar nomination for his performance in the movie Lion. (Los Angeles Times )
Compiled and partly written by Indian humorist MELVIN DURAI, author of the novel Bala Takes the Plunge.
[Comments? Contributions? Please email us at email@example.com. We welcome jokes, quotes, online clips, and more.]
Enjoyed reading Khabar magazine? Subscribe to Khabar and get a full digital copy of this Indian-American community magazine.
blog comments powered by Disqus