QUOTA of QUOTES
“I am not going to say,
‘Let’s go out there and just
earn six figures. I am going
to say, ‘Let’s go out there and
fix six of the world’s biggest
– Angad Singh Padda, 23, giving a graduation speech at U.C. Berkeley’s Haas School of Business. The Punjab native graduated with summa cum laude honors and was hired by JP Morgan as an investment broker.
“The size of the majority shows
that the people have chosen hope over
fear and progress over stagnation.”
– Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi, Britain’s first turban-wearing MP, who won 34,170 votes for the Labour Party in the town of Slough, England, more than twice as many as his closest rival. (PTI)
“Do you ask the same question
to a male cricketer? Do you ask them
who their favorite female cricketer
– Indian women’s cricket team captain Mithali Raj, responding to a reporter’s question about her favorite male cricketer. (Rediff.com)
“You serve at the pleasure of the president;
you don’t serve the president; you serve
the public, your oath, and the Constitution.”
– Preet Bharara, former U.S. Attorney in New York, on why it was wrong for President Trump to expect loyalty from him. Trump fired Bharara on March 11. (The Daily Show)
“There is such little representation out there for South Asians, and especially Tamils and queer South Asians, in the Anglophone literary landscape. I wanted to write myself into existence, if you will. I wanted to reach back in time and tell the young me, ‘You’re not alone.’”
– Writer S. J. Sindu, whose debut novel Marriage of a Thousand Lies is narrated by a queer Sri Lankan Tamil woman living in the metro Boston area. (The Aerogram)
“Like all good Bollywood films, we
have to learn to share the music and
realize that we’re all in this dance together.”
– JJ Kapur, a high school student from West Des Moines, Iowa, offering a message of unity in a speech that won him the original oratory championship at the National Speech and Debate Tournament.
Compiled and partly written by Indian humorist MELVIN DURAI, author of the novel Bala Takes the Plunge.
[Comments? Contributions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome jokes, quotes, online clips, and more.]
Enjoyed reading Khabar magazine? Subscribe to Khabar and get a full digital copy of this Indian-American community magazine.
blog comments powered by Disqus