QUOTA of QUOTES
“Today, I feel that my country has embraced my Sikh heritage, and I will be forever grateful for this opportunity.”
– Airman 1st Class Harpreet Singh Bajwa, crew chief at the McChord Air Force Base near Lakewood, Washington, on becoming the first active airman in the U.S. Air Force to be granted permission to wear a turban, beard, and unshorn hair.
“I’ve been getting more interested in blues, but I have many inspirations from a lot of different genres. I listen to a lot of rock music, but also I listen to Indian music and jazz. ... I want to, I guess, explore everything.”
– Musical prodigy Giri Peters, 14, of Nashville, Tennessee, who released an album “Origins” with his 11-year-old sister Uma, featuring their traditional folk and blues songs. (NPR.org)
“I would love to run for prime minister of India. I would love Nick to run for president (of America). I don’t like the things associated with politics, but I know that both of us really want to make a change. Never say never.”
– Actress Priyanka Chopra, 36, who is married to American pop star Nick Jonas. (The Sunday Times)
“It’s not just looking at atlases, like many people know. It’s looking at how places in those atlases affect our world today, and how problems in those places affect us, and how we can fix them individually and as humans of the world.”
– Nihar Janga, 14, of Texas, who won the 2019 National Geographic Bee and became the first champion of both the National Geo Bee and the National Spelling Bee (he was co-champion in 2016). (NPR)
“Personally, I do think there
should be a core set of Democratic
ideals that we all agree to. That
you can’t say you’re a Democrat
if you’re against immigrants,
if you’re against abortion, if you’re
against gay marriage, LGBTQ
– Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal of Washington, asserting that her party should respond strongly to efforts in Georgia and Alabama to restrict abortion rights. (The Hill)
Compiled and partly written by Indian humorist MELVIN DURAI, author of the novel Bala Takes the Plunge.
[Comments? Contributions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome jokes, quotes, online clips, and more.]
Enjoyed reading Khabar magazine? Subscribe to Khabar and get a full digital copy of this Indian-American community magazine.
blog comments powered by Disqus