QUOTA of QUOTES
“When the President believes you have a major contribution to make to the welfare of our nation, and to our nation’s standing in the world, that is a calling that is important to heed.”
– South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, accepting President-Elect Donald Trump’s appointment of her as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, despite criticizing him heavily during the Republican primaries.
“Please convey to the Pakistani people that they are amazing
and all Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people.”
– President-Elect Donald Trump, speaking to Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, as released to the media by Sharif’s office.
“The whole additional interest will be because that brand today is the president-elect of the United States.”
– Gulam Zia, Mumbai-based executive director of global property consultancy Frank Knight, on the popularity of the Trump brand in India, where the Trump organization has at least five projects, more than in any other country outside North America. (NPR)
“The inauguration will go on. But that doesn’t mean we have to accept Trump’s agenda quietly. We have a moral duty not to.”
– Seattle City Councilmember Kshama Sawant, a Socialist Alternative Party activist who has received hateful messages after calling for demonstrations against Donald Trump’s inauguration. (Seattle Times)
“I’ve been a Chicago Cubs fan ever since I grew up in Peoria (Illinois). I never gave up hope, and just as I never gave up hope that the Cubs would have their time, neither did I give up hope that I could serve the public in this fashion.”
– Raja Krishnamoorthi, who was elected to the House of Representatives from the 8th Congressional District of Illinois. The 43-yearold Democrat, who will become America’s first Hindu Congressman (joining Hindu Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii), had previously lost two bids for public office. (Peoria Journal Star)
“She was a symbol of strength for women
like me. She fought against so many odds
to make a name for herself in a male-dominated
profession like politics. We have lost
a great politician, and a great champion of
– Khushboo Sundar, film actress and Congress party spokesperson, on the death of J. Jayalalithaa, longtime Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
Compiled and partly written by Indian humorist MELVIN DURAI, author of the novel Bala Takes the Plunge.
[Comments? Contributions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome jokes, quotes, online clips, and more.]
Enjoyed reading Khabar magazine? Subscribe to Khabar and get a full digital copy of this Indian-American community magazine.
blog comments powered by Disqus