QUOTA of QUOTES
“I worked on the book for five years,
and when it appeared I remember reading
those reviews and thinking that it’s
over. I should give up this business and
maybe work in a bank.”
– Poet and novelist Jeet Thayil, whose book “Narcopolis” won the $50,000 DSC Prize for fiction set in South Asia, despite receiving poor reviews initially. (NDTV.com)
“Please, we are both very vibrant people. I actually have a marigold turban like your hair in addition to all the other colors.”
– American Idol contestant Gurpreet Singh Sarin, aka ‘The Turbanator,’ successfully persuading judge Nicki Minaj to cast her vote in his favor and send him to the next round. (FirstPost.com)
“ Without an unqualified constitutional amendment that guarantees this freedom, as the American Constitution’s First Amendment does, the country cannot fairly claim to be the ‘world’s largest democracy.’”
– Author and New York University professor Suketu Mehta, writing about India’s recent freedom of speech lapses. (New York Times)
“ We’ve got to stop being the stupid party. It’s time for a new Republican Party that talks like adults.”
– Louisiana Governor and potential 2016 presidential candidate Bobby Jindal, giving the the keynote speech at a meeting of the Republican National Committee.
“ It is very exciting to serve in an Administration that has so many great Indian-Americans serving.”
– Rajiv Shah, Administrator of United States Agency for International Development, speaking at the first-ever inaugural ball organized by Indian-Americans in Washington, D.C., to celebrate President Obama’s second term in office. (The Hindu)
“ My parents left India to pursue their dreams, and years later, I have come to India to pursue mine. Full circle!”
– British-born, U.S.-raised actor Samrat Chakrabarti, who traveled to Mumbai for the release of two films in which he plays contrasting roles: Kamal Haasan’s Vishwaroop and Deepa Mehta’s Midnight’s Children. (IANS)
Compiled and partly written by Indian humorist MELVIN DURAI, author of the novel Bala Takes the Plunge.
[Comments? Contributions? Please email us at email@example.com. We welcome jokes, quotes, online clips, and more.]
Enjoyed reading Khabar magazine? Subscribe to Khabar and get a full digital copy of this Indian-American community magazine.
blog comments powered by Disqus